I have been thinking a lot about estimates lately. As software developers we are asked to give estimates all the time. It’s part of the job. For me, it’s a hard part of the job. I can never seem to get them right even when I am meticulous in my process. I usually forget or overlook something. With that said, life is about learning and getting better, and this is the nature of this article: getting better.
The following is a list of tips when creating and managing estimates.
- Understand the requirements.
- Break large tasks into smaller tasks
- Estimate each small task in hours
- Give each task a time slot on your calendar
- Plan for meetings and code reviews
- Communicate adjustments early
That’s just a quick list of my current thoughts. I’m thinking about expanding on each point at a later time. If you are reading this and you have any tips for making estimates, please feel free to share them in the comments.